Aurora Theatre Company COVID-19 Safety Policy
Aurora Theatre Company is committed to safely reopening, and is taking measures to protect our artists, staff, and patron community. We recognize inequalities in access, medical conditions that may prohibit receiving a vaccine, and hesitation caused by historical trauma inflicted by the medical establishment. We also recognize that the available evidence indicates that current vaccines are both highly effective and safe, and we encourage everyone who can to get vaccinated. In addition to complying with all City of Berkeley, County, State, and Federal guidelines, we are taking the following steps to increase safety for all as we welcome you back into our space.
We require that all audience members and Aurora Theatre Company employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Full vaccination is defined as completion of the two-dose regimen of Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson (Janssen) vaccine, plus the current recommended booster dose for the individual’s age cohort.
- COVID-19 vaccinations are free and widely available; information here.
- All patrons will be required to show proof of vaccination and booster (physical vaccination card or digital record), along with matching photo ID, at the door. Please plan to arrive early to allow extra time for this requirement.
- A professionally-filmed streaming version of our 21/22 Season productions will be available on select dates for unvaccinated patrons and patrons who do not wish to attend in person.
- We will be enforcing a strict mask mandate for audience members and staff, other than the actors while they are performing. Masks must fully cover the nose and mouth throughout the performance. Thank you for helping us create a safe environment for all. Keeping your mask on helps us keep our doors open!
- Staff and audience members who are displaying any symptoms of illness, who have tested positive for COVID-19, or who have been exposed to someone who has tested positive, are required to stay home.
Please note that these policies are subject to change.
Other safety measures include:
- Daily sanitization with an electrostatically applied, CDC approved, cleaning solution of all seating and common areas.
- Increased daily janitorial support including daily handwiping of all high touch surfaces.
- A deep cleaning of our HVAC system, increasing safe Outside Air mixtures, and use of HEPA (MERV 13) filters.
- Touchless hand sanitizer stations in public areas for easy hand washing
- Opening the house earlier, reconfiguring lobby seating, and opening the upstairs Dashow Wing to allow for additional restrooms and distancing prior to the beginning of the performance.
- Audience members cannot interact with actors in the lobby before or after the performance. The lobby will close 10 minutes after the end of the performance.
- Modified Box Office procedures, including reconfiguring access, adding an additional window, and minimal-contact methods of payment and ticket handling.
- Concessions, other than water, will be temporarily suspended.
- Children under 12 who are ineligible for vaccination may not attend in-person.
(Note that Aurora Theatre Company’s programming is not intended for children).
Please note that due to the intimacy of our space, social distancing inside the theater and lobby is not possible. Audiences will be attending performances at their own risk; Aurora Theatre Company assumes no responsibility for the possibility of COVID-19 transmission at our theater.
While we are excited to be back together with you, there is still a possibility that programming and performance dates may be affected by local health orders, or changing health situations. In the event of any changes, ticketholders will be notified as quickly as possible. Aurora Theatre Company is the storyteller for our community. Thank you for your continued support and cooperation as we look forward to safely resuming live performances.